Back-end Engineer (Ruby on Rails)
Note: Although this is a remote position, we are currently only seeking candidates in timezones between UTC 0 and UTC+2, essentially between Lisbon and Istanbul.
Quaderno is a global, remote-first company and we believe that our way of working, independent of borders and time zones, is the future. As part of our back-end team, you will play a key role in helping our users to manage their taxes and simplify their businesses.
Being part of Quaderno means that you’ll become part of a culture that’s based on excelling in our craft while also maintaining a healthy work-life balance. You’ll join a multicultural development team that’s passionate about dealing with large datasets, complex tax rules, and helping thousand of businesses around the world.
We’re searching for an engineer who will join our back-end team. The ideal candidate is a motivated and inventive Rails developer with a deep understanding of Internet technologies, experience in designing APIs, a strong engineering intuition, and good communication skills.
In this role you’ll help us improve Quaderno by adding useful, innovative features and you’ll work to make the service faster, more stable, and more convenient. It’s a challenging task since Quaderno is constantly evolving to support the frequently-changing sales tax rules.
You’ll collaborate closely between Quaderno's development team, partner companies, and customers to turn Quaderno into the best tax management platform.
As a back-end Rails engineer you'll:
- Research and fix bugs.
- Propose, design, develop, and deploy new features.
- Help monitor and support 24/7 Rails applications and services
- Spend time working the customer success inbox. Our employees, even the CEO, spend time doing this.
- Contribute code to multiple projects and initiatives that make our back-end better.
- Be a responsible team member: do code reviews, contributing and maintain tests, refactor code, share knowledge.
Founded in 2014, Quaderno helps hundreds of businesses around the world to automate their tax management and make solid business decisions.
We collect and manage millions of datapoint from payment processors, shopping carts and backends to generate all the tax data our customers need to run their businesses.
We’re a small remote team, so everyone has a lot of autonomy and a huge impact. We believe in simplicity, transparency, and diversity.
- 1+ years of professional experience developing for the web.
- Good level knowledge of Ruby, Rails, and MySQL.
- Experience with Git and GitHub.
- Fluency in written and spoken English.
- Extremely proactive, organized and responsible, with the ability to work well independently and as part of a team.
- Based in timezones between UTC 0 and UTC+2.
We’re bootstrapped, profitable, and committed to building a sustainable company that will continue to grow for decades to come. That means we value work-life balance and invest in our employees’ long-term growth.
- Competitive compensation based on experience.
- Paid vacation + national holidays.
- Great learning experience.
- A passionate and caring team.
- 2 annual company retreats to awesome places
- Flexible schedule (only 5 hours a day!) and location.
- And much more.
This is a remote position, so you’re free to work from wherever you please on whatever schedule works best for you. You’ll also have the option to work from our office in Las Palmas de Gran Canaria (Spain) or rent a coworking space in the city where you live.
Please treat this as your first interview. We receive lots of resumes, so here's your chance to stand out from the crowd.